Monday, April 4, 2011

Farewell to Uncle Bob


Today I had the opportunity to attend my Uncle Bob's funeral. Uncle Bob was quite a character if my memory is still working.  I spent a lot of time visiting him and my Aunt Margaret in Tooele when I was growing up.  He talked often of some kind of a circus that would be coming to town...little did I realize he was probably talking about family. I also remember being excused from his dinner table several times because of "smacking" my lips while eating...a habit that I quickly got rid of so I could enjoy dinner with the family. He left quite a legecy and you could see that in the way his children and grandchildren spoke of him with love...not much reverence...but a lot of love. The tears of his great-granddaughter while singing with her mom, aunt and grandmother the song about "Grandpa, tell us about the good old days" tugged at my heart. The sad look on my cousin Jans face pretty much tells it all.  We are all sad when our loved ones leave us...even if it is for just a short time. 

I have come to realize that the only sure thing in this life is that the day we are born we are destined to die.  I can only hope that I have loved my children and grandchildren in a way that they will think back with fond memories when they say...remember when granny...to be completely honest...I'm a little scared of how they are going to finish that sentence :-)

Love you Dad!

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Your comment on the phone tonight made me laugh. Remember when Granny... :) I think at some point we all have those thoughts. How will we be remembered when we pass from this life?

On a different subject, that's a really great photo of you and Grandpa. He looks so incredibly dapper! And you both look genuinely happy to be standing there together. I love it :)