Saturday, November 26, 2011

Care Bears


Years ago...27 to be exact...Cabbage Patch dolls and Care Bears were the hot items for Christmas...neither of which could be found in store and online buying didn't exist!  It was like a treasure hunt just trying to find them to fill the kids Christmas list.  I remember walking into our local fabric store and finding a pattern to make them.  I bought a pattern, some fur and buttons and promised the store owner that I would bring the finished bear in for her to see.  When I brought it in, there were two ladies in the store who wanted me to make them some...and that is how the madness began.  Between Thanksgiving and Christmas I made over 100 bears!  I would get up at 7 in the morning and work until midnight or later.  There was fur flying everywhere!!  I delivered my last bear at 8 o'clock Christmas eve and then after my kids went to bed, I finished theirs!  But the madness didn't end on Christmas day.  It continued for a whole year!  I kept a book and listed all the bears I made over the year.  By years end I had made 379 bears!  I couldn't believe it myself!!

A few months ago I got a text from my nephew Steven asking if I still made Care Bears.  His son Stellar wanted one and he was reflecting on how much he loved the bear I gave him that Christmas so many years ago.  So I dug out the old box of fur and patterns and made little Stellar a Tenderheart and a Good Luck bear.  Thanks Steve for letting me re-live a memory from my past.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

You make the best Care Bears!!!! I still have a Cheer Bear that you made for me in 2003 that I won't let my kids play with because I don't want them to ruin it :)

Anyone can buy a bear at the store, but yours not only look like the real deal, but they're handmade with love! And that's priceless!