Sunday, May 22, 2011

Open For Business

This weekend I finally committed to making the trip up to Bear Lake to help open the cabins up for the season.  It just always seemed like a long drive...8 hours round trip...to clean for a couple of hours.  But since I was going to be up in Salt Lake to watch the boys on Thursday and Friday, I decided now would be a good time to pitch in and help.  So after I left Bea and the boys, I headed out to stay with my mom. The morning started out early...up at 5 am to make sure I was ready to leave at 6:30.  Then mom and I piled in with Aunt Lynn and headed for Garden City. 

There has always been something very soothing about the water and just Bear Lake in general.  I've been going up there since I was a little girl...so you could say it's been a long, long, long time.  The calm of the lake, the waves brushing against the shore, the sound of children playing in the water, the midnight dive off the dock in the cold water, throwing tin foil balls up in the air while out in the water in the evenings just to watch the bats dive after them, Coffins corner where you could see the clouds roll in when a storm was coming...all fond memories of not only my childhood but my adulthood as well.  Being able to take my children and grandchildren there each summer and spend time with them...thanks to the wonderful gift left for a short time to the family after my Aunt Dode passed away.  It's sad to think it will all come to an end in 2016.  But we must not think of the distant future, we must concentrate on the joy we will have for the next couple of years and treasure those memories.

Every time I go up to Bear Lake I take these same pictures of the cabins and the boat house.  At first I didn't think things had really changed that much over the years.  But as I looked around this year there are a few things that look different.  The old tree in the back of the main house is only half there and the bushes that separated us from our neighbors are almost gone...just little things.  I guess there is one sure thing about life...there will always be change.  But I can't wait until August when we will once again gather at the cabin with family and create more memories.






No comments: