Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Carma...



When I was called to be the Relief Society president, I never realized the wide range of responsibilities that come with the calling.  We live in a ward the with a lot of elderly people and Carma is one of them.  But she isn't your normal sweet grandma type of person!  While Carma told me stories of the men she loved in her life, she never married and has lived life alone...without the love of children and grandchildren. She could be very demanding and kinda awnry at times, but I really think that the Lord brought her into my life for a reason.  I think she caused me to learn a new level of patience, tolerance and caring for the elderly.  I got a call from Carma early yesterday morning. She was in Sanpete Valley Hospital and they were taking her to a care center in Ephraim.  Since she didn't have anyone who could take her down there, she was wondering if I would.  I arrived early and our first stop was to her home to pick up a few things she would need.  As she walked into her yard, she headed for her peach tree.  Even knowing that she will most likely never see her home or her tree again in this life, she took the time to try and re-wrap her tree to keep the branch lifted.  The whole experience was very humbling to say the least! Then as we drove away, she looked back at her home and asked Heavenly Father to bless it...I can only hope that my karma in life has been changed because of the things I was able to do for Carma.


2 comments:

Brandi said...

I know that having Carma in your life has been challenging at times, but I've always admired everything that you've done for her.

This post brought tears to my eyes. What a humbling experience, indeed. Think of what you must mean to her... the huge part you have in this last part of her life.

Your beautiful words have given me a moment to quitely sit and think about the lives of others and how we're all brothers and sisters in the big picture of life.

I love you, Mom!

Unknown said...

This post is so wonderful. We live in such a a busy fast paced world, sometimes we just need to stop and look around us and take in just how blessed we really are.